Tuesday 3 May 2011

I'm still Alive!!!!!

Well its been some time since i last updated my blog.... a very long time. I would love to say that I've been busy working on the Cobra and that progress is coming along nicely, but I'd be lying apart from the odd weekend tinker progress has been little to none.

However i attended the National Kit car show at Stoneleigh over the May bank holiday and I'm determine to use this better weather we are having and make some progress on the Cobra.

So after a little messing about and sorting i have mounted the fuel filter. I  was initially going to mount an electronic fuel pump at this point, however my plans have now changed and I'm reverting back to a mechanical fuel pump off the engine block. Mostly this is to save space and reliability, electric fuel pumps can be noisy and on my chassis will take up space that is not available.




As you will see on the image beside that i had to drill two 10mm holes in the chassis along the inside leg, to allow me to insert two rivnuts for the mounting of the filter bracket. Not as easy as it should have been, as the gearbox was in the way, however they are in and secure so job done.




The bracket was butchered from an old fuel pump bracket, and with some cutting to the top to allow clearance for the assembily bolts on the filter. All looks good.
I have decided to run 10mm (3/8") internal diameter fuel line from tank to carb, so i have re ordered some fuel unions along with my new Edelbrock performance mechanical fuel pump.

Unfortunately i have received an e-mail saying the pump is not in stock and will be some weeks before i recive it..... balls up to my weekend in the garage.



I have removed the blanking plate of the engine block, and apart from an initial test run i was surprised at how much crud was behind the plate, so a bit of cleaning up and now ready and waiting for my fuel pump to be delivered. 

I have also took the plunge and ordered my exhausts and manifold headers from AK. These will be ready in July when i attend an open day that AK are holding so two birds one stone and all that jazz. They have taken one hell of a punch to the old budget, but these will be the newer 5" pipes as opposed to the older 4"...... Bigger is better!!! Fact!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it mate!!

    Must come round for look see sometime.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. your very welcome whenever you want mate.
    Would like you advice on the whole build so far and any IVA tips that you could see potential pit falls in.

    ReplyDelete